Hereafter are the main public outputs of the previous H2020 project ‘META-REFLECTOR’, of which SMART-FLEX is a follow-on, and of the SMART-FLEX projects iteself.
- “VO2 Thermochromic Metamaterial-Based Smart Optical Solar Reflector” K. Sun, C. A. Riedel, A. Urbani, M. Simeoni, S. Mengali, M. Zalkovskij, B. Bilenberg, C.H. de Groot, and O. L. Muskens ACS Photonics 2018 5 (6), 2280-2286 DOI:10.1021/acsphotonics.8b00119
- “Metasurface Optical Solar Reflectors Using AZO Transparent Conducting Oxides for Radiative Cooling of Spacecraft” K. Sun, C. A. Riedel, Y. Wang, A. Urbani, M. Simeoni, S. Mengali, M. Zalkovskij, B. Bilenberg, C. H. de Groot, and O. L. Muskens ACS Photonics 2018 5 (2), 495-501 DOI: 10.1021/acsphotonics.7b00991
- “VO2 Metasurface Smart Thermal Emitter with High Visual Transparency for Temperature Regulation and Artificial Homeostasis in Space and Terrestrial Applications” K. Sun, W. Xiao, C. Wheeler, M. Simeoni, A. Urbani, M. Gaspari, S. Mengali, C.H. de Groot, O. L. Muskens, Nanophotonics, 2022, DOI: 10.1515/nanoph-2022-0020.
Two manuscripts led by UNISOTON are in preparation which are on schedule to be submitted in January 2022:
- Sun, S. Ye, J. Hillier, C. Wheeler, M. Simeoni, A. Urbani, M. Gaspari, S. Mengali, N. Kalfagiannis, O. L. Muskens, C.H. de Groot, Atomic Layer Deposition of W-doped VO2 on Wafer-scale and Flexible Substrates, target journal: Advanced Materials.
Newsletters and press releases
- Metalens breakthrough with extremely high efficiency demonstrated by NIL Technology, 12 October 2021, https://www.nilt.com/metalens-breakthrough-with-extremely-high-efficiency-demonstrated-by-nil-technology/
- NIL Technology launches flat NIR metalenses ready for mass production, 31 August 2021, see https://www.nilt.com/nilt-launches-flat-nir-metalenses-ready-for-mp/
Presentations at scientific conferences
- K. Sun, C. Wheeler, I. Zeimpekis, M. Simeoni, A. Urbani, M. Gaspari, S. Mengali, L. Kildebro, D. Hewak, C. de Groot, O. Muskens, Passive Thermal Radiation Control based on thermochromic W-doped VO2 Metasurfaces, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics | META 2022 to be held in Torremolinos from 19 to 22 July 2022.
- Smart Metasurface Optical Solar Reflectors with Near Room Temperature Transition based on ALD W:VO2, Advanced Photonics Congress 2021, 26-30 July 2021 (presentation, delivered online by K. Sun)
- Smart Meta-optical Solar Reflectors based on Vanadium Dioxide, 11th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics META 2021, Warsaw, Poland, 20-23 July 2021 (invited presentation, online by K. Sun).
- Novel Metal Oxide Metasurface-based Optical Solar Reflectors, CLEO Europe-EQEC 2021, 21 – 25 June 2021 (presentation, delivered online by K. Sun)
- Smart and Flexible Metamaterial-Based Optical Solar Reflectors, ICSTCSSTA 2020, 22nd International Conference on Spacecraft Thermal Control and Space System Thermal Analysis, August, 17-18, 2020 at Barcelona, Spain (presentation, online by M. Simeoni).
- Embedded metal oxide plasmonics using local plasma oxidation of AZO for planar metasurfaces, SPIE Optics & Photonics, 14 August 2020, San Diego, USA (presentation, online by O. L. Muskens).
- Tunable and smart metal oxide infrared metasurfaces for radiative cooling of satellites and multiband flat optics, 17th International Conference on Nanosciences & Nanotechnologies, NN20, 7-10 July 2020, Thessaloniki, Greece (invited presentation, online by O. L. Muskens).
- Metal Oxide Meta-optical Solar Reflectors for Space Applications, OSA Advanced Photonic Congress 13-16 July 2020 (presentation, online by K. Sun).
- Metamaterial-based Optical Solar Reflectors for Space Applications, 9th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics META 2019, 23-26 July 2019, Lisbon, Portugal (invited presentation, online by K. Sun).
An abstract has been submitted to the following conference:
- M. Gaspari, S. Mengali, M. Simeoni, A. Urbani, O. L. Muskens, K. Sun, I. Zeimpekis, A. Bialy, I. Czolkos, B. Alpat, G. Bartolini, M. Jamalipour, J. Frolec, T. Kralik, F. Tessarin, M. Gottero, T. Schillaci, Metamaterial-based smart and flexible Optical Solar Reflectors, Conference on Materials in the Space Environment ISMSE 15, Leiden, Netherlands, 15-20 May 2022.
Presentations and other technical meetings
- Transparent conducting oxides and switchable materials for active plasmonics & metasurfaces, Nanophotonics & Metasurfaces showcase, UK Metamaterials Network, 1 June 2021, online short presentation for special interest group with industrial and academic stakeholders (delivered online by O. L. Muskens).
- Flexible IR metasurfaces for radiative cooling in space, Flexible & Conformable Metasurfaces showcase, UK Metamaterials Network, 17 May 2021, online short presentation for special interest group with industrial and academic stakeholders (delivered online by O. L. Muskens).
- Smart infrared metasurface optical solar reflectors for radiative cooling in space, International Workshop “Structures for Enhancing the Absorption of Light”, 16 December 2020, University of Surrey, UK (delivered online by O. L. Muskens)
- New Thermal Coatings for Spacecraft and Satellites using Metamaterials, Made for Space 2-3 May 2019, Coventry, UK (invited presentation). Meeting of manufacturing industry and end users in UK Space Industry (delivered by K. Sun).
- Metasurface Optical Solar Reflectors for Space, Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) Showcasing Emerging Technologies Metasurfaces Collaboration Day, 19 March 2019, Birmingham, UK (Poster). Meeting of metasurfaces community and industrial stakeholders / end users (delivered by K. Sun).
- Metasurface Optical Solar Reflectors for Space, University of Southampton SPRINT launch: Funding SMEs in the Space Sector, Southampton, Feb 2019 (Poster). Meeting with UK SMEs in Space industry (delivered by K. Sun).